All Collections
Using Your OneRecord
Review your health records for errors.
Review your health records for errors.
Jennifer avatar
Written by Jennifer
Updated over a week ago

Once you’ve got your health record (also known as a medical record), review them to make sure that all of your health information is complete, correct, and up-to-date. This is important because you may have forgotten to tell your doctor something or they may have forgotten to write it down. The staff in your provider’s office are busy people, who make mistakes just like everyone else.

 Some examples of common errors:

  • You may have forgotten to tell your doctor about something — like a new medication or allergy

  • Your doctor might have misunderstood, incorrectly noted, or left out something — like information about your health history or your symptoms or the date of your appointment

  • Your doctor might have ordered a test you’ve already had — or charged you for a test you didn’t have

If you don’t review your record, you won’t know these mistakes have been made, and they could impact your future health and treatment. Explore these tips on what kind of mistakes to look for — and what to do if you find one!

What kind of mistakes am I looking for?

You’re looking for mistakes or out-of-date information that will have an effect on how your provider diagnoses and treats you, whether your provider can contact you, and how you’ll be billed. You can let typos go, but if a mistake can affect your health, it should be fixed.

Check your health information, including:

  • Doctor’s appointment notes

  • Health or medical history

  • Symptoms

  • Immunizations

  • Diagnoses

  • Allergies

  • Medicines

  • Tests

  • Procedures

What do I do if something is incorrect or missing?

Under HIPAA, if you think there’s a mistake in your health record, you have a right to ask your provider to fix it.

If you want to have a mistake fixed, here are the steps to follow:

Step 1:  Contact your provider

Contact your provider’s office and find out what their process is for making a change to your health record. They may ask you to write a letter or fill out a form. If they have a form, ask them to email, fax, or mail a copy to you.

For more information about how to contact your provider, see How do I get started?

Step 2:  Write down what you want fixed

If your provider has a form, and you want to fix a simple mistake: Fill out the form and attach a copy of the record page where you found the mistake to help them find it.

If your provider doesn’t have a form or it’s a more complex mistake, you may want to write a letter describing the correction. Make sure you include:

  • Your full name, address, phone number

  • Your doctor, nurse, or provider’s full name and address

  • Date of service

  • A short, specific, and clear explanation of what needs to be fixed and why

  • A copy of the record page where you found the mistake

  • Your signature

Step 3:  Make a copy of your request

Make a complete copy of everything you’re sending to your provider for your own records.

Step 4:  Send your request

Depending on your provider’s processes, you can deliver your request by:

  • Secure email through your patient portal

  • Non-secure email (your personal email)

  • Fax

  • Mail (standard postal service)

  • In person

Note: If you want to send your request by email (secure or non-secure) you’ll need to attach digital copies (PDF files) of the record page where you found the mistake and the request form. Remember, using secure email or a patient portal helps protect your privacy and personal information.

Find out who needs to fix the mistake

Make sure you address your request to the specific doctor, or other provider, who made the mistake. It will be their responsibility to fix it. Note: Your doctor or provider may have retired or changed practices. If this is the case, the clinic, office, or hospital can tell you who should receive your request.

What happens after I request a correction?

Your provider has 60 days to respond to your request, unless they ask for an extension (extra time). Here’s what you can expect:

If your provider agrees there’s a mistake in your health record, they’ll update your record and send you a notice — either in your patient portal or via email or mail — that they’ve taken care of it.

If your provider does not agree with you, they’ll send you a denial notice that should include:

  • The reason they’re not going to fix the mistake. For example, they might say they believe your health record is correct and complete.

  • Information about how to reply to their decision

What do I do if my provider doesn’t agree with my request?

If your provider does not agree that there is a mistake in your health record, you can:

  • Send them a formal letter in reply to their decision, stating clearly why you disagree. Their denial notice should include instructions on how to do that. If not, call their office. This response will be attached to your health record.

  • If you don’t want to reply to the denial notice, you can ask your provider to attach a copy of your original request and the denial notice to the affected page(s) of your health record.

  • File a complaint with the Department of Health and Human Services. Get more information on filing a complaint at

If you have any questions or concerns please contact us via the "help button" in the bottom right hand corner of the screen or email us at


Did this answer your question?